Followers

Monday, April 4, 2011

MeatLoaf Revisited

I want to put out there first and foremost, my love for his music goes back as far as an adult from the 70's, has the ability to remember!  The songs from, " back in the day", had the ability, to stir up emotions, thoughts and feelings,  that few have ever rivalled. Bob Seger would be another example.

MeatLoaf is  touring with a new band and played a venue close to my home.  Having this opportunity to hear him in person, there was no question, of course, my body would be in that auditorium.  To say I was excited, would be the understatement of the year!

In the days leading up to this event, I dug up you tube videos of all my favorites. Listened to them over and over, subjected all our friends and relatives, via facebook, to listen to them with me!
The concert was OK. He did sing some of the old favorites, even made a joke about his ability to hit a few of notes.  He really seems to like the words "fuck you", LMAO!  MeatLoaf has surrounded himself with much younger band mates. All very or should I say, extremely talented. I will never forget that awesome piano player, but, like the others, his name escapes me.

What prompted me to write this up, however, is something my Husband kept saying. I did not, in the moment understand what he was trying to say, but, here I am, a few days later, completely in agreement with him.

The music over took the songs. If one were to listen to the earlier music, the instruments took a back seat to the vocals.  This is now reversed. At times the music blared so loudly, one had a hard time picking up the words to a song. This is a problem for me. MeatLoafs words  never needed music. Those words had the ability to make you feel. Happy, sad, anger and joy, like a good book that one could not put down.

During the concert, it became apparent, there was a need for the audience to purchase his Cd, titled, "Hang Cool Teddy Bear".   MeatLoaf pointed out how hard they had worked on this new music, and put it out there about a year ago.  I had no knowledge. My opinions of the marketing of new music should be a topic for another post.  The band sang several of the tracks from this cd, again, the music over powered the voices. 

I have to point out, it was not bad music. At times, however, I felt as if all the musicians, lost their place. Out of nowhere, the beat completely changed, finding its way back, moments later.  This was more than likely , on purpose, as the music was written, but, confusing for someone who is hearing for the first time.

Getting to my point here, the reason for this blog post, I come to a question.

Do we continue to support a favorite musician, by purchasing music that is so far removed from the original artist that we loved? My thoughts are along the lines of does he make the same amount of money should I purchase a cd, that blares the music, but hides the voices, VS, purchasing one that you hear very clearly, his and Ms. Patricia's very distinct and favored stories.

My opinion matters to no one, but, I will type it up here.

MeatLoaf's voice has changed. Its hard to put into words a description of the change but I will try.

Perhaps it has to do with state of mind. In younger years, we are all filled with hopes and dreams and our outlook in life reflects this. The way we looked at our world and trying to imagine what our lives would be like in later years put a hopeful type tone , so to say, in our spoken word.  Now, I can only say it seems the world no longer promises to make those hopes and dreams a reality and the tones in MeatLoafs voice seem to reflect a hardened, defeated man.   The voice is more muffled, the words are not as distinct and clear, more of a mumbling.  This is maybe why the music is so much louder on this latest CD. An attempt to cover up this new voice? A lack of the releasing studio spending ample time cleaning it up? I have no idea.  Heck, this voice will probably gain him new supporters from the younger generation, with all the f bombs and what not! 

I still Love my MeatLoaf, and will continue to support him. Hope there is someone out there that can answer the question regarding loyalties on earlier music,  Ha, maybe I will ask the Meat myself. Along with everyone who is anyone, MeatLoaf , does have a facebook page!

6 comments:

  1. Rock music is brutal on vocalists. I remember being surprised in my teens to find out some of the most succesful long-term starts had opera training to sustain their voice and quality control. For those who sing in a lower key, the strain is not as hard and they can generally sustain the songs we love and remember far longer. Those who have the higher tones male or female are running a race with age. Life choices also have a big impact on voice sustainability.

    I was a big Meatloaf fan in high school/college. I have heard him perform clips on TV in the last few years and he sounds as if he has lost some of his range. Considering his life's journey it is not a major shock.

    I can understand why they are interested in moving on from their old stuff. Imagine writing the same blog post every day for 20 years. That being said, as a consumer/fan I am not always ready to walk with an artist down their new paths. I will give the music a hearing, but if it is not something I am interested in, I don't feel obligated to buy/listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that should read long-term artists, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved Meatloaf back in the day! How cool that you got to go see him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not feel obligated to buy, especially if some of the fundamental things you initially loved have changed.

    There are a few artists and bands that my husband and I have always loved. We usually attempt to keep up with their newest ventures. Once the newness wears off, we are usually done. I understand they need to attempt to keep up with the times. That's perfectly fine with me. We will keep listening to their old stuff and replacing those CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge Meatloaf fan. Got to see hime twice in the 70's and 80's. I feel he is one of the best musicians out there and will always be! Love you Meat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Meatloaf!! I am a rocker all the way. So is my fiance. He has been in a band all his life and has played with some pretty large bands.

    ReplyDelete